The government’s head of remedial education was on the verge of resigning after seeing his proposals for a £ 15bn program rejected by the government, according to the Guardian.
Sources close to Sir Kevan Collins said he was dismayed his long-awaited proposals had been reduced to a £ 1.4 billion offer for schools in England, announced by the Education Department on Wednesday.
The resumption of education commissioner, who was appointed in February to oversee catch-up plans in schools in England in the wake of the pandemic, has reportedly told the government that a much larger sum on the order of £ 15bn would be needed to meet the needs of students who have lost months of learning due to the Covid disruption.
His future in the volunteer role, which was due to end in August, remains uncertain and he has not responded to attempts to reach him. The Education Department declined to comment.
A former teacher who became director of children’s services and managing director of Tower Hamlets in east London, Collins has spoken of his disappointment at the limited scale of the government’s latest catch-up offer in the Department of Education announcement earlier Tuesday.
“Helping every child get back on track will require a sustained and comprehensive support program,” he said. “The investments in the quality of teaching and mentoring announced today provide evidence-based support to a significant number of our children and teachers. But more will be needed to meet the scale of the challenge.
A source told The Guardian: “He expected the whole package to come to fruition. He must be very personally disappointed I think.
Others follow …