Welcome to the owl!
The owl is closed for winter holidays. We will reopen in spring 2022. ”
What is the owl?
The Online Writing Lab (OWL) is an email tutoring service. After filling in some key information on the submission form, your work will be submitted to a tutor for review. Within 48 business hours, you should receive an email from one of our tutors with a letter explaining how to improve your job. You can use the owl at any stage of the writing process!
Most people benefit from getting answers to their writing. In fact, successful writers routinely seek such comments as part of their writing process. Our goal is to provide you with the kind of feedback that will help you develop and refine the skills that you can take with you beyond a given assignment or course. We want to teach you how to improve your own writing, not how to take back your paper and rewrite it. You can expect your OWL tutor to give you clear and specific suggestions for improving your paper. Save time revising your document based on these suggestions.
Tips for a great OWL session
- Be specific when submitting the form: Tell us about the mission so that we can give you the best possible feedback. Consider attaching or copying / pasting the instructor’s directions.
- Allow enough time for a response, then revise. You should immediately receive an email confirming your request. Requests received after 6:00 p.m. Monday to Friday will be considered received by 8:00 a.m. the next business day. You can expect a response within 36-48 hours Monday through Friday (excluding holidays). At certain times of the semester, our response time may be longer. If we expect a response to take longer than two days, we will send you an email to let you know. Our email address is [email protected] if you have any questions.
- Check your school’s emails regularly. Your tutor can answer you with additional questions.
Questions about the OWL submission form
You will see that the online submission form asks you several questions about your article. These questions are designed to let us know exactly what you want to work on. Even if you aren’t immediately concerned with your writing, we can still help. Before filling out the submission form, take a few minutes to think about your answer to the question. “What do you want the tutor to focus on today?” “
Here are some areas where we can help:
- Find an interesting topic to write about
- Development of a thesis or plan
- Write an introduction or conclusion
- Writing paragraphs and transitions
- Review based on your teacher’s feedback
- Quote, paraphrase and quote
- Develop ideas
- Work on grammar and punctuation
- Look for patterns of strengths and weaknesses in your writing
- Any other concerns you may have
Online Writing Lab (OWL) Submission Form (MySWC login required)